1. Preheat oven to 375 F
2. In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the ground beef.
3. Just as beef begins to brown, toss in garlic, onions and carrots, and saute together.
5. Continue to saute until beef is mostly brown and onions are translucent.
7. Place in colander to drain completely (we don't want a greasy pie!) and allow to cool a bit.
10. Gently spread meat filling into a pie dish (preferably deep-dish). Give a couple of twists of freshly-ground black pepper.
12. Take the Bacon/Breadcrumb portion of the FRESH TAKE Cheddar Jack & Bacon package and generously coat the top of the potato topping. (If you noticed, I haven't used salt in this recipe. That's because the breadcrumb seasoning adds ample saltiness to dish.)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/4 pounds ground beef
3/4 cup frozen peas
2 tbsp flat Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp black pepper
For Mashed Potato topping:
2 lbs potatoes, peel and cubed
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk
4. As beef browns and onions begin to sweat, add the chopped Italian parsley and a pinch of black pepper.
6. Add frozen peas, stir skillet and immediately remove from heat.
8. While cooling, bring the cubed potatoes to a boil and cook until tender, 15 minutes or so. Drain potatoes and mash with butter and milk. You should have a creamy, yet firm, consistency.
9. When filling has cooled, transfer to a bowl and mix with the cheese portion of the FRESH TAKE Cheddar Jack & Bacon package.
11. Spread the mashed potatoes over the filling and smooth edges. For this application I like to use a heat-resistant rubber spatula, but feel free to use whatever works for you.
13. Bake 35-45 minutes until crumbs darken and the outside of potato topping just starts to crisp up.
14. When allowed to rest, the pie will maintain the integrity of each slice. Then, just dig in!