There are two things I'd absolutely have a hard time existing without, and even if I could manage to survive, life would just be a bit less pleasant for me without either of them - Autumn and Garlic.
Sure, the recent hot and humid spell here in the northeast made the crisp air and vivid colors of autumn appear light years away, however, awaking this morning to mid- fifties temperatures and highs today lucky to reach the low-seventies at best, has me once again dreaming of my favorite season.
- 25-30 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- 15-20 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 medium/large onion (1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups), sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 0.5 oz dry porcini mushrooms
- 1-1/2 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 tsp black pepper (optional)