Guilt Level: HIGH
Faux Gourmet Tip: If the frosting appears too thick, add a small amount of milk until it appears light and fluffy. To avoid the garnish getting mushy (and losing all that crunchy texture!) serve the cupcakes within 3-4 hours of garnishing.
(for the cupcakes)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350º, and line two cupcake tins with cupcake liners (I always recommend foil instead of paper).
- In a large bowl, prepare chocolate cake mix according to the directions on the package. Stir in chocolate pudding until just combined (be careful not to over mix).
- Spoon a small amount of cupcake batter (about 1 tablespoon) into the bottom of each cupcake liner, then place one Oreo cookie in each cupcake liner.
- Fill the cupcake liners with the remaining cupcake batter (to about 2/3 full). Bake 12-14 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, whip butter on medium speed until smooth (about 3-4 minutes). Reduce mixer to low speed, and slowly add powdered sugar, cocoa powder, milk and vanilla and mix until well combined (about 3-4 minutes). Increase mixer speed to high and whip another 3-4 minutes, until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, fill a pastry bag with a star tip with frosting and frost the cupcake, starting at the outside edge and working your way inward. To garnish, top each cupcake with a generous pinch of smashed Oreos.