Guilt Level: High
Rich chocolate and creamy hazelnut... with a grown up twist!
for the cake:
- Pre-heat oven to 350º, and line two cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, prepare cake mix as directed, then stir in hazelnut liqueur and hazelnut extract.
- Fill cupcake liners halfway, bake 12-15 min until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Using a stand mixer, combine butter, powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Slowly add hazelnut liqueur. Beat 5-6 min on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. If the frosting seems stiff, add a bit of milk and whip again.
- To frost, fill a pastry bag with a star tip, or fill one end of a resealable plastic bag with frosting and snip off the corner to create an instant (and disposable!) pastry bag. Generously frost each cupcake, and garnish with toasted chopped hazelnuts.
Faux Gourmet Tip: "To make this amazing cupcake even more decadent, cut the "core" out of the center of each cupcake and fill it with a chocolate hazelnut spread, like Nutella! Then frost and garnish as directed above."