To that end, I pulled out an old standby first presented by that icon of the household, Martha Stewart. Her recipe (Martha Stewart Living, July 2002) is as follows:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (about 9 ounces) mixed milk- and semisweet-chocolate chips
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- Caramel Sauce
Transfer dough to a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, and press to flatten, covering bottom of pan. Bake until edges are brown and top is golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Don't over bake; it will continue to cook a few minutes out of the oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, 15 to 20 minutes. Cut into 8 wedges. Serve warm; top each wedge with a scoop of ice cream and some caramel sauce.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.